Friday, February 12, 2010

Cross of Christ- 1

Have you ever wondered, if the word 'cross' has different meanings in the English language? There is a crossing cross, a plus sign cross, an x letter cross, a cross of Lorraine, or a term used as cross my heart (promise to give) or someone being cross with us.  Here I am talking about the Cross of JESUS Christ that the Bible talks about. Recently a lady belonging to a Jehova's Witnesses denomination pointed out to me the real meaning of that cross translated into my own mother tongue, Gujarati language from the State of Gujarat in India. The cross means 'Vadh-Stumbh' the literal meaning 'The Pole of Sacrifice' - the Cross of Jesus as used in the holy Bible in Gujarati language. I was surprised with joy even though it is my mother tongue and I grew up with it, little had I paid attention to that. The reason? At this grown-up stage, I am trying to comprehend that Jesus calls us to carry our Pole of Sacrifice and follow him...to put it in easier terms like the famous Indian movie would have its heroes and brave folks say in lines such as..."Sir pey Kafan bandh key chaltey hey"(we walk carrying the coffin cloth on our head, meaning we are ever-ready to die).

I asked myself, Do I carry my Cross, my pole of Sacrifice, and live like that for CHRIST every day? It is a big question! We are called by Him to do that. Denying self and following him; being a living sacrifice as Romans 12 says!

Vadh-stumbh (Vadh no Stumbh) the pole of Sacrifice! To die to selfishness and sin, to comforts that call my name, the fun and cultural values, TV and movies that allure us; to die to that, to die to be the person who is totally in charge and in control, and let God be the King and in charge of our lives, and help us handle all aspects of our life HIS way! To die to prestige, fame, and what more than a line from one of Issac Watts' songs that goes like, "When I survey the wondrous cross on which the price of Glory died...Forbid it LORD that I should boast, save in the cross of Christ my LORD, all the VAIN THINGS THAT CHARM ME MOST, I SACRIFICE THEM TO HIS BLOOD...(carry our vadh-stumbhs and follow him...) like Paul says, I must decrease and HE must increase in me!!

LORD Jesus, Help us carry our vadh-stumbhs (poles of sacrifice) and follow you.

Kalpana Christian Sharma
Copyright © KC's Writings, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers