Dear friends,
My thoughts on this Father’s Day are on an uncle-like person, Joshua Narayanan Mylatore. He went to glory just three weeks ago this year. Today on my blog I write honoring him. The world needs many Joshua-like men in our communities as brothers, uncles, dads, and godly role models to showcase what God is like.
He and his late wife had no kids of their own but they treated young people from the church’s youth group as their own kids. They practiced generous hospitality like: “Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares” (Heb 13:2) and Romans 12:13 (NIV) “Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.”They were not related to me in any way but they
have left a positive impact on my life of what a loving Indian Christian home
looks like, feels like, and loves like! I met him and his wife in Mombasa, Kenya, during the weekend of February 9-10th 2002. I was invited as a guest singer at their
church. They chose to be my host family. I spent that weekend in their cozy lovely
little simple home! What a kind and sweet hospitality they both gave me. I was in my late
30s and with my busy schedule, it felt good to kind of getaway to a “parental
sort of home” and feel like a little girl all by myself, like a princess.
After a good night's sleep in my room, the next
day being Sunday, after personal devotions and dressing up I was invited to join them for
breakfast. Uncle Joshua had personally prepared traditional south Indian
breakfast: Chai (tea) and delicious Upma.
(Upma is a spicy thick porridge from
dry roasted semolina or coarse rice flour. Various seasonings and vegetables
are often added during the cooking) yum yum! (That reminded me how my
dad used to cook for us on Sundays while we got ready to go to church.)
Auntie read the Daily Bread devotional and Uncle
Joshua prayed for the breakfast, for my singing, and for that day to be a
blessing. That spiritual connection was bliss. Auntie gifted me with a comfy Kenyan
traditional dress.
After the church service and luncheon, I flew
back to Nairobi. On my return flight, I was feeling ecstatic, grateful for the sheer
joy of having experienced simple God-honoring living. I had no idea of the devastating news that I was to receive back home that Sunday night which would change
my life drastically! (But that will be a story for some other day!) All I think
about is I believe over that weekend through the hospitality of Uncle Joshua
and Auntie, God let me experience in advance, that regardless of what happens in my life, I was precious, and that I
was worth and that I was loved as a person, as a daughter, and as a fellow
worker in God’s Kingdom.
While they were alive I did let them know
that I have never forgotten their Christian love, hospitality, and how they
made me feel during that first and last visit.
I am grateful to God for the obedience of such godly men and women; who
reach out to others in pure Godlike love, grace, generosity, and extend
hospitality. Such people represent God
as God. On this Father’s Day thank God with me for Uncle Joshua’s life, his good, and holy
life choices, and his obedience to the Lord Jesus Christ.
Rest in eternal Peace, Uncle Joshua, and
Auntie, I am sure we will all shout Amen when we hear God tell you, “Well done
my faithful servants….. Come and share your
master's happiness!' OR you have already heard it! J
Happy Father’s Day to a number of genuine, kind, considerate, truly caring, and loving men!
Grateful for godly men in my life,
©Kalpana Christian Sharma

No comments:
Post a Comment